drivers medical

Drivers Medical Assessment

Drivers Medical / Vocational Driver’s Medicals Standards

Fitness to drive assessment

The Drivers Medical Assessment will be carried out by an Occupational Health Nurse supported by the DVLA Medicals Standards for Fitness to Drive guidelines. The Medicals standards can be found at

The fitness to drive medical assessment will consist of the following tests and investigation of medical conditions:
  • Health Questionnaire
  • Eye Sight Test
  • Blood Pressure Check
  • Height & Weight check
  • Urine analysis Test
  • Audiology hearing Test if indicated

Vocational drivers who will need medical assessments

The Occupational Health Department will undertake vocational driver’s medical assessments for the following groups of drivers
  • Large Good Vehicles (LGV or HGV) and Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV). The relevant DVLA documents must be provided by the employee to verify they have the training to operate the vehicle.
  • Drivers required by national legislation to hold licenses for goods vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tones (Group C1). Relevant DVLA documents to be provided by employee.
  • Drivers of small passenger carrying vehicles between 9 and 16 passenger seats (Group D1, usually minibuses). Relevant DVLA documents to be provided by employee.
  • Regular drivers of forklift trucks as per HSE recommendations
  • Employees who drive clients or colleagues as part of their regular duties.

Expert Professional Drivers Medical Assessment

Our experts will look at the driving conditions of the employees and will be constantly assessing the overall risk to the car drivers. This is to review the overall ability to drive safely on the road. The results will be assessed by an Occupational Health Nurse and / or Occupational Health Physician and an outcome of the results including any recommendations will be provided to both the employee and employer.

Contact us

Assessment FAQ

How do I get a D4 medical form?

If you need a medical form you can pick one up from the DVLA, your training school, or simply download it from the homepage of this website.

How long is my D4 medical form valid for after my medical?

The D4 medical form is valid for four months. It is essential that it reaches the DVLA within four months of the medical assessment after 4 month’s it becomes invalid.

When I have the medical examination, does the doctor need to know what medication I am taking?

The doctor who will be assessing you will need a full list of medication you are currently taking so if you could bring a list with you that would be much appreciated.

What happens if I wear glasses or if I need contact lenses to pass the eyesight test?

In 2013 the DVLA changed the regulations in regards of testing eyesight with and without contact lenses or glasses. Our Specialists will test your vision with and without your glasses and contact lenses under DVLA regulations.  If you need to wear with contact lenses and glasses to complete the vision assessment you will still pass the medical assessment. If you want a taxi medical assessment you will not need to have your eyesight tested without contacts or glasses.

What happens if I have suffered a heart attack?

If you had a heart attack in the last six weeks you are unable to go back to the workplace if you drive a bus or lorry. You will need to undergo a treadmill test and a Consultant will also complete a medical assessment before you will be passed fit.

What if I have had a fit or I have epilepsy?

If you have had a faint the DVLA may not take away your licence however if have epileptic fits you would lose your licence for a minimum of ten years.  Different rules apply to different types of lost consciousness and we advise you speak to one of our Specialists for more information.

What if I take tablets due to diabetes?

It depends on the medication you are using as they have been new regulations put in place since 2016.  You are required to test your blood at least twice a day and if you are driving that day will have to test your blood two hours before driving.  If you have any questions please feel to contact one of our Specialists to discuss your concerns.

What if I use insulin for diabetes?

If you are diabetic and use insulin you are able to hold a group 2 DVLA licence. You will need to visit a diabetes Consultant and get a statement every year. Your consultant will be assessing if you are checking your blood levels and you will need to use a machine to record your sugar levels for the last three months. You will also need to demonstrate you have a good understanding of diabetes and you will have to sign a declaration.

I have been suffering from anxiety or depression. Will that affect my entitlement to hold a DVLA group 2 licence?

The DVLA divide anxiety and depression into a minor category or serious category.

The minor category is described as “Very minor short-lived illnesses of anxiety or depression without significant memory or concentration problems, agitation, behavioural disturbance, or suicidal thoughts”. The more serious category is defined as “More severe anxiety states or depressive illnesses with significant memory or concentration problems, agitation, behavioural disturbance, or suicidal thoughts.” If you are in the minor category, you do not need to tell the DVLA and it will not affect your entitlement to hold a licence provided that any medication is not causing any problems with driving.However, for the more serious category, the DVLA will generally suspend a person’s group 2 licence (or not give a licence to a new applicant) until the person has been well and stable for 6 months, and until they are satisfied that the medication is not causing any side-effects which could would interfere with alertness or concentration.

This information is a general summary of the DVLA guidelines rather than an exact and full quotation.

Other medical services we can provide

Isocyanates Medicals

This assessment will evaluate if someone is fit to work in certain environments.

view service

Skin Assessments

These checks will also identify if existing control measures in place are adequate

view service

Work Health Assessments

We will identify if an employee is fit to undertake night work

view service