Respiratory Assessment / Health Surveillance
- The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (2002) is the law that requires employers to control substances to prevent ill health to employees at work.
- Respiratory health surveillance is a programme of regular, periodic, spirometry testing that is related to the substances employees may come into contact with, in the course of their work.
- Respiratory assessments help detect occupational asthma developing by detecting the early signs of the disease at a stage where it can be reversed or its effects minimised.
How do I know if you need a respiratory assessment / spirometry test?
Risk Assessments completed within the workplace will identify any potential risks and identify those employees requiring respiratory health assessment/ health surveillance</p
If you work with any of the following substances you may require respiratory health surveillance
- glues and resins
- latex (powdered natural rubber latex gloves)
- wood dust
- isocyanates (eg two-pack spray paints)
- rosin-cored solder fume
- flour dust, grain dust
- laboratory animals
What does the Respiratory Assessment Consist of?
- A Baseline Health Questionnaire and Spirometry (lung function) Test will be completed at the start of employment, or exposure and will act as a baseline of the individuals past and current health.
- Regular testing will be completed usually annually or as advised by the Health Professional. This could involve further questionnaires and lung function assessments.
- The health professional will explain the test results to the individual and complete an outcome report to the employer confirming the employee’s fitness to work and making any work recommendations if appropriate.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/basics/surveillance.htm The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations (HSE, 1994)
Other medical services we provide
- Management Referrals – Will with give advice to managers when the employees health is effecting their work.
- Work health assessment – The purpose of this assessment is to see if any health issues could effect the health of an employee
- HAVS assessment – We will assess if exposure to equipment has caused hand arm vibration that can effect your nerves.